History of the Town
|Roaring Spring was at first named Spang Mills, after the Spang family who owned a tract of land on which they operated a grist mill and around which the town grew. In 1863, Daniel M. Bare and his father purchased the land, and in 1865 Mr. Bare and others decided to build a paper mill, which began operating in April 1866. In 1887, Spang Mills became Roaring Spring.
The original triangular village contains block after block of single family homes whose styles reflect the periods of the paper mill’s expansion and job growth. Many of the vernacular Carpenter Gothic homes lining the hilltop just south of the mill appear to date from the 1870’s Farther away on a hillside southeast of the mill are dozens of Four-Squares and Bungalows presumably built after the expansion of 1912 and 1924.
|To the east on yet another rise are dozens of Temple-Front and I-Houses types dating anywhere between the 1870’s and 1890’s. These periods of expansion in the mill’s capacity (as well as those of the Blank Book Company) clearly are reflected in the town’s population growth. Between 1870 and 1890, for example, the population multiplied over ninefold from 100 to 920; then between 1890 and 1930, that figure tripled to 2746.
It is said that the settlers of Roaring Spring were happy and friendly; they were anxious to share their good fortune with others. Maybe that is why the townspeople today are so pleased to share the beauty of their great spring, and why visitors return again and again.
|1854 – First Post Office, Spangs Mills, established.
1865 – D.M. Bare Paper Mill erected.
1868 – D.M. Bare built grist mill; name of post office changed to Roaring Spring, Dec. 23rd.
1869 – Foundry built by Major Alexander Bobb.
1870 – School house built on site of present school office building.
1871 – Morrison Cove Branch of the PRR completed.
1874 – Arch built over the big spring by Jacob Rightnour.
1876 – Breast at spring built by Henry Acard and Jacob Bowser.
Jacob Cass bought 1/3 interest in paper mill and name changed to Morrison, Bare and Cass.
1886 – Blank Book factory erected.
1887 – Petition for incorporation as borough granted, June 22; certificate of incorporation entered Oct. 3rd.
1888 – First Borough Council organized.
1892 – Current for electric lights supplied by Blank Book Co. Ordinance passed for erection of water system.
1893 – Contract signed for Jacob Biddle stream as source of water.
First Board of Health organized.
1894 – First water conveyed into borough homes.
First fire company organized.
1896 – Snowberger Stream purchased for additional water for borough.
Park Hotel was purchased by Dr. W.A. Nason opened as private hospital.
1897 – Planning Mill sold to D.M. Bare.
1900 – Nason Hospital chartered as charitable institution; training school for nurses incorporated.
1901 – Post Office became third-class; rural free delivery established; government postal savings bank established.
1902 – Roaring Spring Bank established.
The first Fire Company disbanded.
1903 – Borough Council forms paid Fire Company.
1904 – First Roaring Spring weekly paper, “Roaring Spring Review” founded.
1906 – First copy of “Weekly News” issued.
The paid Fire Company was disbanded.
1907 – High pressure resevoir constructed on Bare farm.
A new Fire Company was established.
1910 – New high school built in Martinsburg.
1912 – Paper Mill damaged by flood.
1913 – First copy of “Roaring Spring News” was founded.
1917 – Roaring Spring Light, Heat & Power Company incorporated.
P.S. McGee Dairy established.
1923 – First National Bank established.
1931 – Fountain erected by the Rotary Club at Spring Dam
1937 – Golden Anniversary of the incorporation of the Borough of Roaring Spring observed.
1938 – A sewer system and disposal plant was provided for by an ordinance.
1940 – Sewer lines within the borough were completed.
1941 – New Post Office building completed at new location on E. Main St.
1946 – D.M. Bare Paper Co. was purchased by Combined Locks Paper Co. of Wisconsin.
1947 – Friendship Fire Co. No. 1, Inc. organized an Ambulance Club.
1951 – Boiler explosion at the paper mill and took the lives of two men.
1952 – The “Cove News” moved into a new building at the southern end of the borough.
The fire company completed & dedicated its new building on Spang St.
1954 – WKMC Radio Station founded by group of Morrisons Cove residents.
1957 – Bypass around borough was completed.
1958 – A new steel and cement breast was constructed at the spring.
1959 – A free loan public library was organized by a group of volunteers.
1961 – Pennsylvania Electric Co. constructed a 46,000 volt line into the Borough.
Nason Hospital new building completed.
1962 – Greenlawn Cemetary property was annexed by the Borough.
United Telephone installed dial equipment for local customers.
Lions Club completed a little league field at Memorial Park.
1964 – Storm sewer & sanitary sewer systems were improved.
1965 – The first Borough Planning and Zoning Commission was approved and appointed by the Council.
1966 – A Park & Recreation Board was formed to oversee the recreational needs of the community.
Roaring Spring Community Library became incorporated and moved into the former Eldon Inn.
Television cable service was first provided to Morrisons Cove area.
1967 – Traffic Signal Lights were installed on Rt. 36 bypass at E. Main St.
1968 – A zoning ordinance was adopted.
The Post Office became First Class.
1969 – Borough purchased land on Cherry St. to become “Bill Bush Park.”
1971 – Through mergers, the Bare Mill became a part of Appleton Papers, Inc.
1973 – Fire destroyed much of the main business district on Main St. on July 18th.
1975 – The Friendship Fire Co. moved into its newly built quarters on E. Main Street.�
A new water tank was built behind the junior high school.
1976 – Borough Council moved into new quarters at the former Fire Hall on Spang St.
1978 – Portions of Main & E. Main Streets were converted to one-way traffic.
1981 – A Municipal Authority was formed to operate the water and sewer systems.
1983 – A Cultural Committee was created to bring various types of entertainment to the community.
1986 – PennDOT crews removed the railroad trestle on South Main St. and rebuilt the street to eliminate a sharp curve.
1987 – Traffic Signal Lights were installed on Rt. 36 bypass at Spang St.
1988 – Train Station on Main St. purchased by the borough from Conrail.
1991 – New Traffic Signal Lights were installed at “Five-Points”.
1992 – A 1942 PRR caboose arrived in the Borough and restored to original condition.
1993 – Roaring Spring Lions Club was presented with a proclamation honoring their 40th year of organization. The
Roaring Spring Ambulance Service held “Open House” at the new building on Nason Drive.
1994 – Elaine “Bush” Stewart of Illinois donated funds for the playground equipment for the “Bill Bush Park” on Cherry
Street in memory of her father. President Eugene Kurtz congratulated the Friendship Fire Co. #1 for their 100th
Anniversay of the Fire Company.
1995 – Train Station Keystone 93 Grant was approved for the renovation of the Train Station Platform and Canopy.
1996 – Newsprinting Company announced that the Warehouse on Robinson Avenue was being transformed into a
Resource Center for Computer Training.
1997 – The first internet webpage was put together for the Borough.
1998 – Blair County Sesquicentennial Committee presented a set of history books.
A copy of the walking tour of Roaring Spring.
A Train Station Mug all to be placed in a time capsule to be opened in 2046.
1999 – Main Street Wall was repaired with help by a Grant and donations from the Mennonite Church.
Turkey Hill Minit Market took over the property formerly know as Leighty’s Market.
McDonald’s Grand Opening.
2000 – Roaring Spring Borough Monument was built on Route 36.
2002 – “Speeders” (old fashioned train cars that are used on the tracks) were at the Roaring Spring Train Station.
The Municipal Office was renovated.
2004 – Roaring Spring Borough adopted the Uniform Construction Code.
The Roaring Spring Train Station was refurbished.
2007 – The Christmas Tree Lighting Celebration was moved to the Municipal Building Christmas Tree.
2009 – The Spring Cove School District built a new Elementary School at the Middle School location and closed the
Roaring Spring and East Freedom Elementary School.
Paul Holsinger retired from the Borough Mayor position following 46 years. Paul Holsinger served Roaring
Spring Borough as Councilman for six four-year terms, and accepted the nomination of Mayor in 1987.
2010 – Ronald Glunt is sworn in as Mayor of Roaring Spring.